Tuesday, December 7, 2010


Chris was pretty shocked when I called him at 2:30 in the morning when I was suppose to be headed over Alaska. We landed safely back into SFO and they decided not to deboard us so we sat on the plane until about 4 in the morning and then we were up again.

This time, it was turbulent.  Like SO TURBULENT.  It was like 10 hours of mega turbulence.  I really thought I was going to die like seven times on that flight because of turbulence.  I don't even know if turbulence can really even take a plane down but I am on a 747 and for that plane to really move, there has to be a lot of serious shit weather going on.  I basically found  a new love for God and I tried to think of the various ways of how I could avoid taking this flight back in order to get home.

Some of those alternate routes included:
  • The bering strait, if it hadn't melted
  • The Trans-Siberian Railway.  I would have taken that into Russian and then made my way into Europe an taken only Lufthansa, British Airways or Virgin back to SFO. 
  • Unfortunately, boats were out of the question because of the shark factor but living in Thailand or Bali until the weather improved became a very realistic solution after about the sixth hour of turbulence.
I didn't talk to the girl sitting next to me during the flight, mostly because she found the miracle of sleep, until about the last hour of the trip, when I finally turned to her and asked, "Did you think that was a bumpy flight?"  And, she said, "Yeah, I just tried to go back to sleep every time the turbulence woke me up, but yeah, it was really bumpy."  And, then I told her that I thought I was going to die like seven times last night and that I had never been more scared in all my life.  And, she told me that she was from Orange County and enrolled in Wharton's executive MBA program and flew up to San Francisco every week for class.  She told me that she and her MBA section were flying out to Taipei for a class project.  I told her that I was also headed to Taipei to meet up with a friend who had a business trip there.  Since we were both solo during our first night in Taipei, we shared a cab into the city and hung out.

No comments:

Post a Comment